Saturday, 25 February 2017
Tiritiri Matangi
'Look!' I followed Lachlan's outstretched hand which lead my gaze to a quiet but rather large Kererū perched on an overhanging branch. Even though our group was a little noisy coming up the track it made no attempt to fly away or move. Fascinated though I was, I had to keep going, my head tilted back facing the canopy of of green. The chirps of content birds filled my ears and I stood and embraced the lovely sound and feeling it brought with it. But soon I was marching hurriedly on dirty gravel after my fast moving group. Trees waved their leafy hands at me, beckoning to me to come take a closer look at the bird perched precariously on one of the branches. It hopped uncertainly through the rough leaves and took to the sky leaving me gaping at the space where it used to be. My lips became dry in the scorching heat and I licked them anxious not waste any more water. I returned my gaze to the three Wetā lounging lazily on the trunk of a nearby tree. I wished I could be lying on a tree trunk, blissfully unaware of the people observing, sleeping and soaking in the heat. I sighed.' Oh well' there'll be plenty of other opportunities to sunbathe. Suddenly my attention was caught by a Tuī darting playfully through the trees.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That start got me hook because it started right away.
ReplyDeleteThat Kereru was pretty big!
ReplyDelete